Re: [LAD] jack-session finally merged.

From: torbenh <torbenh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 29 2010 - 18:00:01 EEST

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 07:55:46PM +0100, rosea grammostola wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 7:50 PM, rosea grammostola <
> rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> >> paniq said he wanted to implement it for jack2.

> >> API
> >> for
> >>
> >> i have a sessionmanager i used for testing.
> >>
> >> git clone git://hochstrom.endofinternet.org/pyjacksm.git
> >>
> >> it doesnt have a gui yet. only a commandline interface.
> >> that said, jsweeper has a gui for it.
> >>

> > jsweeper?
> >
> > \r
> >

> And can you explain what you want with your SM?

save and load sessions.

> What is the philosophy behind it, what do you want to achieve with it, what
> should a user be able to do with it? Which apps are expected to support it
> and what it the expectation in general about the support in apps for you SM?

the user will be able to save the state of all apps supporting the API
with a single command/click.
and will be able to reload it. no more maintaining of connection setup
scripts and all the hassle involved before.

regarding app support:

already patched apps:
- jack-rack
- ghostess
- specimen
- guitarix

in queue:
- ardour
- fst
- seq24

i expect most jack apps for which session support makes sense to support
the API sooner or later.

> Why do you think this SM will be an success?

session support cant be turned off by packagers without turning off jack
support. a lot of LASH enabled apps showed up in repos with lash support
disabled for example.

also this approach doesnt tie a users to a specific sessionmanager.
in this early state there are only jack_session_notify and pyjacksm
but i expect more session managers to show up during this year.

--
torben Hohn