Re: [LAD] [Jack-Devel] Transport question

From: Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 31 2010 - 00:51:18 EEST

On March 30, 2010 04:01:54 am Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:42:47 -0400, "Tim E. Real" wrote:
>
> itself

> >> nope, i just can't reproduce the behavior... but you might have a point
> >> re. play button checked state, which may be backfiring on
> >> JackTransportStarting...
> >>
> >> hmmm... i'll be back tomorrow :)
>
> Tim, salsaman,
>
> please, try today's svn trunk (qjackctl 0.3.6.4+), if you can
>
> change-log says:
>
> - Transport play (rolling) status is now being guarded to avoid
> backfiring from extraneous transport state changes.
>
> maybe it fixes the issue. i can't really verify whether it's actually on
> target, as i fail to reproduce the reported behavior, both jackd 0.118.3
> and 1.9.5 :/
>
> you tell me.
>
> thanks anyway.

Woo hoo! Got it!

Actually I fully anticipated what your fix would do:
On another box I had tested QJacjCtl-0.2.23
 (before your ui button changes were made).
It never actually stopped, but I could briefly see 'starting'
 in the status window and the 'pause' button would briefly go out,
 but it would keep happily rolling.

So when I browsed your code in -0.3.5 and saw the button handling,
 I knew that whereas -0.2.23 would say 'starting' but keep rolling,
 -0.3.5 wanted to actually stop, and did so.

So now QJackCtl behaves like -0.2.23 did:
During the times when -0.3.5 wanted to stop, I instead now see 'starting'
 in the status window and the 'pause' button will briefly go out,
 but QJackCtl and the apps will keep happily rolling.

Even during the sometimes long pause where QJackCtl says 'starting'
 the transports actually keep rolling in the apps and in QJackCtl.
Good.

Thanks a bunch Rui !
Will keep an eye out and report anything else.

Jack-devels: Apparently this closes the issue I reported months ago.
(Well, that is until I test with to-be-re-worked time-stretching
 audio pre-fetch code in MusE again... But that's another story.
 Hopefully it's solved.)

Cheers. Tim.