Re: [LAD] successive note on midi events

From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 12 2010 - 13:30:31 EEST

On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 10:26 +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 08:07 +0200, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
>
> > The question is what happens at the other end when a note gets struck a
> > second time.
> >
> > a) Nothing, the note is already on.
> > b) Re-trigger, the voice is reset and the note gets played from the top
> > c) Trigger, a new voice is assigned and will play simultaneously to
> > previous voices
>
> a) and b) both might make sense for a monophonic synth part, but in the
> polyphonic case, it should be c). Doubling a note seems perfectly
> reasonable to me and accidental surplus Note-Ons are simply not
> acceptable (I'm also not aware of that being a common problem).

Surprisingly, all classical polyphonic keyboards like piano and organ
works according to 'a'. If you - while playing four-handed piano -
accidentally strikes a note already held by the other player, nothing
will happen (in musical terms, that is ...)

Polyphony is what is supposed to happen when you strike /different/
notes and doubling notes will normally be done by pressing the
hold-pedal and then striking the note twice.