Re: [LAD] successive note on midi events

From: Clemens Ladisch <clemens@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 13 2010 - 14:01:58 EEST

Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-13 at 09:55 +0200, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > To quote from the GS standard:
> > | LimitedMulti: If the same note is played multiple times in succession,
> > | the previously-sounding note will be continued to a certain extent
> > | even after the new note is sounded. (Default setting)
>
> Can anybody here explain the precise meaning of "a certain extent"

I'd guess this depends on the instrument.

If the sound were switched off completely, there would be audible
effects; that "certain extent" is long enough so that it sounds
natural.

> or which one of the note-off's out of a plethora of choices it is that
> will eventually determine some notes "natural length"

The "natural length" applies to percussion sounds, which don't react
to note-offs.

For sustained sounds, I'd guess that the first note-off applies to all.

> | This is initialized to a mode suitable for each Part, so for general
> | purposes there is no need to change this.
>
> Who is initializing here. The synth-module

Yes; this specifies how the synth behaves.

Regards,
Clemens