Re: [LAD] successive note on midi events

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Apr 14 2010 - 15:38:33 EEST

Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-13 at 22:04 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>

>> MIDI-driven synth engines offer various choices about how to handle
>> the situation, because people realized early on that it wasn't that
>> difficult to make it happen, and that a useful way of handling it
>> would be better than pretending it wasn't possible.
>>

> But .. In my book it is still a bug, deliberate or not.
>
> Accidents can happen and therefore we have airbags. But this doesn't
> mean that we are endorsing reckless driving as an acceptable method of
> minimizing the time taken for commuting.
>
> As for the problem presented by OriginalPoster, send a note-off
> immediately after each note-on and be done with it. Then use
> sustain-pedal for playing several identical notes as a chord.

Full ACK. There are some drum sample players that have problems when the
duration between note on and note off is to short and there ... there
are several reasons when not sending a note off might be nice, similar,
for some equipment it is nice if running status could be disabled, some
old sequencers can do this etc. pp. ... somebody wrote that one note off
would finish all note ons of the same number, this must not be true all
the time. Especially old MIDI equipment can behave very unusual. Anyway,
I'm using MIDI since it was on the market and even if there might be
some advantages when not sending a note off, there will be on
disadvantage, the most negative thing I know about MIDI, the "hanging
note". Or is it "frozen note" on English? The note that never will end
;). In case of doubt for MIDI we shouldn't think about advantages for
computer equipment, but how it would be for a natural instrument. I
guess on that list we found out, that every natural instrument will turn
a note off before the same note could be played again.