Re: [LAD] A small article about tools for electronic musicians

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun May 02 2010 - 20:13:05 EEST

Jeremy wrote:
> Tim E. Real wrote:
>
>> On April 30, 2010 10:55:09 pm you wrote:
>>
>>> Tim E. Real wrote:
>>> Wow, man! I just spent an hour playing with
>>> Guitarix Distortion (ladspa plugin) +
>>> caps C* Amp VTS (ladspa amp sim plugin)
>>> in MusE's plugin rack.
>>>
>> Silly me! I missed a piece of the puzzle. The C* Cabinet plugins.
>> I was supposed to put a cabinet after the amp.
>> Sounds even better now!
>> It now approaches the type of sound that the JCM900 vst gives.

>>> Aha, it's for free :), http://www.simulanalog.org/GSuite.zip, until now
>>> I didn't use VSTs when recording with Linux, but the web says, this VST
>>> should be awesome,
>>> http://www.google.de/#hl=de&ei=vJLbS_jPJc6YOMjj9JIH&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&
>>> ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAUQBSgA&q=JCM+900+VST&spell=1&fp=af503062d682e13a
>>>

>> I have not tried their other plugins in the suite yet, but the following
>> statement probably applies to them as well:
>> That JCM900 vst is by far the most absolutely mind-blowingly realistic
>> recreation of a Marshall amp *ever*. Most people agree.
>> It is *THE* standard by which *all* other plugins are judged, commercial
>> or free!
>>

> That must be a real good plugin then because most people agree also that
> the JCM900 is the worst amp of the JCM series (except for the SLX
> edition) and some even argue it's one of the worst Marshall standard
> tube-amps ever made ;) Glad I sold mine years ago. But you got me
> curious as I don't use VST's either.
>
> Best,
>
> Jeremy

*lol* Regarding to the real amp the 900 is known as a bad amp by German
80ies Punk-Rock musicians, for the newer Marshall amps with a master
volume the 800er is the most widespread amp here, some older Marshalls
without master volume still are preferred ;). I only own transistor amps
that anyway do sound better than the plugins I know. So any plugin that
would sound like a 900er is welcome, even if I should need a Vox AC 30
sound for some songs ;). Perhaps the plugin's name is intended, to cause
more realistic hopes ;). I don't expect any plugin to emulate a real
stack and btw. even 800er amps manufactured at the same day often do
sound different. Anyway, I guess an amp simulation should simulate the
sound produced by an amp, that was recorded by microphones, I don't
think that today we can expect a simulation of real amps.