Re: [LAD] A small article about tools for electronic musicians

From: Jeremy <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 03 2010 - 22:46:38 EEST

Tim E. Real wrote:
> On May 2, 2010 11:10:33 am Jeremy wrote:
>> Tim E. Real wrote:
>>> Silly me! I missed a piece of the puzzle. The C* Cabinet plugins.
>>> I was supposed to put a cabinet after the amp.
>>> Sounds even better now!
>>> It now approaches the type of sound that the JCM900 vst gives.

>>> I have not tried their other plugins in the suite yet, but the following
>>> statement probably applies to them as well:
>>> That JCM900 vst is by far the most absolutely mind-blowingly realistic
>>> recreation of a Marshall amp *ever*. Most people agree.
>>> It is *THE* standard by which *all* other plugins are judged, commercial
>>> or free!
>> That must be a real good plugin then because most people agree also that
>> the JCM900 is the worst amp of the JCM series (except for the SLX
>> edition) and some even argue it's one of the worst Marshall standard
>> tube-amps ever made ;) Glad I sold mine years ago. But you got me
>> curious as I don't use VST's either.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Jeremy
> What do you use now? Or what's your favourite?
> Does your playing style demand that Marshall sound?
> If you play rhythm, probably it's OK, right?
> If you play lead, you might say no?
> I find Marshalls tend to sound best for the crunchy
> Metallica type rhythm sound.

Hello Tim,

I'm now using several London City amps. London City was set up at the
end of the sixties in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, as an alternative for
Marshall amps. Well, alternative, they were more or less exact copies,
only with cheaper components. The ones that survived are the best built
amps and my amps (I have four of them) are all revised so they'll
probably last some more decades. I use the amps with a matching London
City 4x12 speaker cabinet fitted with vintage Celestion G12H30 55Hz
speakers.

http://www.autostatic.com/londoncity/img/evilamps.jpg
That's my London City making clear to a Marshall Plexi who's the boss.

I play in two completely different bands with completely different
guitars. One band is a trio in which I use a Telecaster, I play mainly
riffs, open chords and some picking, and the other band is a four-piece
 rockmonster for which I use a Yamaha SG2000. In the latter band I do
the solos and a lot of powerchords and riffing:
http://www.jamendo.com/en/track/520056

Best,

Jeremy