Re: [LAD] A small article about tools for electronic musicians

From: Jeremy <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 04 2010 - 12:36:50 EEST

On 05/03/2010 11:15 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Jeremy wrote:
>> http://www.jamendo.com/en/track/520056
>>

> Nice-sounding :), even if the internet sound quality isn't that good.
>
> Petersburg amps are also able to produce this kind of sound, a friend
> had one + Marshall speakers, it's written that it should be the Russian
> copy of the 70ies 2203 amps with master volume. It's also written that
> the 800 amps from the 80ies should be equal to the 2203 from the 70ies.
> The best punk-rocking sound I ever could play was a SG with a Marschall
> without master volume, both neither the Gibson, nor the amp were mine. I
> heard very good recordings done with Laney amps from the 80ies. Btw. I'm
> using a Boss OD-2, transistors aren't that bad.
>
> I guess that people who like Metallica's non-rocking pop sound (no
> offense, but it's hard to describe the differences by words) could be
> fine with plugins, but people who prefer MC5 and other punk-rocking
> sound, better do recordings using amps, when ever possible.
>
> IMO it depends to the kind of music, if a plugin is enough. I need
> plugins, resp. hardware emulations out of necessity.

Hello Ralf,

Direct link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1463959/01%20-%20what%20matters%20most.mp3

You should have a chat with the other guitarist of my band ;) He did
several gigs in Germany with his other band, maybe you've heard of them
(Omission). He owns a JCM800 1959 from the 80ies. But it's too hot for
me (I think his pre-amp stage needs some care), I like a clean, clear
sound with ringing highs but still a lot of oomph. The combination of my
guitar (the Yamaha) and the amp+cabinet give me that. I also like it as
clean as possible so I can color my sound better. And with coloring I
mean as transparent as possible, so no OD-2 for me ;) (I use a Fulltone
Full-Drive 2 Mosfet and 2x Ibanez Mostortion through a Wobo
looper/switcher).

Never heard of Petersburg amps, I did some Googling but contrary to
Petersburg amps London City amps are point-to-point and slightly better
build.

Best,

Jeremy