Re: [LAD] Is it possible to use two RME cards in sync?

From: Florian Faber <faber@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 10 2010 - 20:18:38 EEST

Pau,

>>> the system i need to build should have 8 AES inputs and 24 AES outputs.
>>> For that, i see two basic approaches 1) using two RME AES-32 (*) cards
>>> in world-clock synch and 2) using a RME hammerfall with 24 ADAT
>>> input/outputs and then several 8ch ADAT<->AES converters such as the
>>> Aphex 144 (+), which costs about 400€ each 8ch unit.
>> 3) a MADI interface and any MADI-to-ADAT converter you want
> Right. But the MADI-to-AES alone (the ADI-6432) costs about 2800€. Far
> beyond 1) and 2).

Well, you get what you pay for. Much less hassle, only one cable to
control clock, data and control information - up to several 100 meters etc.

Think of the setup and maintenance costs. This is the plug-in-and-forget
solution.

>> The driver can start the buffers synchronously, so you have
>> sample-synchronous output. To have jack working with multiple cards, you
>> can either use alsa magic to combine the cards, or use alsa_out (with
>> disabled resampling).
> Will try that with a couple of hammerfall 9632 we have in the lab before
> buying the (two) AES-32.
> Any recommended documentation or advice?

The RME cards are easy to set up: Just connect the internal sync port
using the cable that came with the cards and select "Internal" as sync
source on the slave card.

Flo

--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key DA43FEF4          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net