[LAD] Rendering Softsynth Instruments To Sample Based Instruments - Automation

From: Guru Prasad <prasadbrg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 10 2010 - 23:44:23 EEST

Hello everyone,

  This is my first post on this list, so please excuse me if I'm not
following list etiquette.

I don't think I can be called a developer, although I can get things
done with Python scripts. I'm much more of an end user, a musician
using linux live - LinuxSampler being my 'bread and butter' tool.

I have a specific application in mind, and I dont think there's
anything out there that does it:

I want to 'sample' a softsynth (e.g. Yoshimi) / modelled software
instrument. In other words, I want something that automates the
following process:
1. Sequencially play 88 X N notes, where N is the number of velocity layers
2. Play them through a particular preset on the softsynth/modelled
instrument (basically just send MIDI output to the softsynth/modelled
piano, through ALSA/JACK)
3. Record each sound (corresponding to each note/velocity) as a .wav
file (at a specified sample rate, etc)

The sample files can then be converted into a .gig instrument sample
using Gigedit. The advantage of this process would be that one can now
use (more or less) the same sounds with MUCH less CPU usage. the
disadvantage, of course, is the loss of tweakability, but I can live
with that, especially in live contexts.

I searched for an application that does this, and the closest I got to
was this feature in Renoise:
 http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Render_or_Freeze_Plugin_Instruments_to_Samples

But I don't use Renoise live. Which brings me to my question(s):
1. Am I right about there not being any application that does this? (I
hope I'm not!)
2. If yes, can someone point me in the direction of how I might get
about writing a script that does this?
2a. What Python modules would be useful? I just came across PyAudio
and PySndObj, and checking them out.

I'm sure there are *quite* a few people who would find such a script
very useful, and I intend to make it available ASAP. My programming
skills are limited, though, so any help in this regard would be
appreciated.
Thanks for your time and consideration!
Cheers,

Guru