Re: [LAD] LAC "Tools" round-table wrapup

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 18 2010 - 02:20:23 EEST

Hey Albert,

On May 17, 2010, at 6:30 PM, Albert Graef wrote:

> Hi Robin,
>
> I can't get to the wiki page linked to in your previous post, so here
> are some hopefully useful remarks.

really? well we had a 30 min outage this afternoon (CEST) but the site's online:
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/tools_comparison

> Robin Gareus wrote:
>> In partictular the "multi-rate", "sync" & "async" need clarification.
>
> - multirate: The ability to deal with synchronous streams of (audio)
> data at different samplerates.
>
> - sync: synchronous (sample-based) processing at fixed samplerate(s)
> (typically audio and video).
>
> - async: asynchronous (event-based) processing (typically MIDI, OSC and
> the like).

Thanks a lot. reading it like this makes perfect sense.

There's two missing (which were mentioned in a follow up email):

 - batch (does it mean app can be called (headless) from a batch script, or that the app itself offers batch processing)
 - embed. means embedded or embeddable?

> Note that we didn't have experts for all the mentioned programs on board
> during the discussion (most notably, the supercollider people were
> absent since they had a session in parallel), so it can't hurt if the
> feature matrix is proofread by as many eyeballs as possible. ;-)

There's already been quite some additions:
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/doku.php?id=wiki:tools_comparison&do=revisions
In particular: Lua-AV, Snd-RT, CLM and Fluxus have been reviewed.

Someone (84.215.119.162) recently added categories "RT" and "GC" without documenting them :/
IMHO real-time makes sense, but I' don't think that "garbage collection" (if that's what GC means) belongs in that table.
Anyway, step 2 (next month) includes removing undocumented and superfluous information (eg. so far all discussed tools are x-platform).

ciao,
robin