Re: [LAD] Looking for an introduction to rt programming with a gui

From: Olivier Guilyardi <list@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 21 2010 - 12:52:39 EEST

On 05/20/2010 10:12 PM, Chris Cannam wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Olivier Guilyardi <list@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Qt is really great. I also highly recommend that you look at Qt Creator which is
>> included in the SDK. Although I'm a long time Vim user, I really found this IDE
>> to be extremely simple and efficient.
>
> Being a long time Vim user is probably _why_ you found it to be so efficient ...
>
> ... now if you were an Emacs user, that'd be another matter ...

Well, intellisense in QtCreator is really nice, especially when you learn Qt.
And it's not as noisy as Eclipse which checks and underlines everything in red
whenever you start typing something...

I'm not sure whether Emacs can do intellisense, but anyway QtCreator is very
good for learning IMO, and that's what Nathanael may need.
Intellisense/completion, integrated documentation, etc.. Just download the SDK
and start coding, everything's in it. Emacs wouldn't help in regard to the
learning curve here...

Personally, all these coding aids start to break my concentration after a while,
I prefer the Vim blank page ;), but that's another topic..

> Anyway, aside from Qt (which I also use and endorse) it might be worth
> looking at JUCE (http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juce.php) and NUI
> (http://www.libnui.net/). I've never tried either myself but JUCE is
> quite widely used for audio applications, including by some Linux
> developers. Never really heard anything first-hand about NUI, but it
> has a natty website at least.

True, JUCE is really nice, I've used it quite a lot. For instance, it's
certainly better suited for plugins than Qt, as that came out on this thread.
But it's far from being as mature and documented as Qt. JUCE may be funnier though..

--
  Olivier