Re: [LAD] Looking for an introduction to rt programming with a gui

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 24 2010 - 15:23:32 EEST

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 5:12 AM, <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> When they are promoting these sort of idioms, computer
> scientists often look like the proverbial 'man with a
> hammer'.
>
> These things come and go, every year has its new crop.
> After the hype has settled down, they are usually
> forgotten.

it seems to me quite the opposite. most of these ideas are actually fairly
old. they just never got implemented in or were never supported by a widely
used language. i've seen very few "new" ideas show up in programming
languages, but what i am happy to see is the relatively careful integration
of some of the most useful and powerful idioms from other languages (lisp,
python and so forth) into a language where i can actually control precisely
what happens (C++). it turns out that there are two levels of care: first,
those responsible for the std:: namespace (and even boost:: to some extent),
and then myself as an individual programmer making choices about what to
use.

--p