Re: [LAD] qjackctl & server name

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 07 2010 - 00:16:07 EEST

On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 10:12:45PM +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

> On 06/06/2010 09:43 PM, fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> > Qjackctl has the -n option to select a Jack server name,
> > and recent versions also allow multiple presets.
> >
> > What would it take to make the server name a element of
> > a preset rather than a command line option ?
> >
> > That would finally allow to run multiple jacks on the
> > same machine (something I've been doing quite a lot
> > recently) without having to start each qjackctl with
> > a different command line option (e.g. from a desktop
> > menu).
> >
> > And maybe the four start/stop scripts should also be
> > 'per preset'.
> >
> > While we're here: almost no apps support selecting a
> > specific Jack server. I've been adding this to some
> > of my own just because I needed it.
> > Using -n for this can be problematic if the toolset
> > used doesn't allow context-sensitive options: -n is
> > also used as a parameter for an ALSA interface, and
> > some apps support both Jack and ALSA.
> >

> JACK_DEFAULT_SERVER environment variable might be your (only) friend here :)

I know. Either that or for qjackctl, -n. But both require
the choice to be made when the app (in casu qjackctl) is
launched, while everything else, including the soundcard
to be used, can be selected later or as part of a preset.
Both JACK_DEFAULT_SERVER or -n also integrate badly with
desktop menus or icons used to start a qjackctl instance.

If the soundcard used is part of a preset, the server
should be as well. Just give it a sensible default, so
'almost all' users will never have to modify it.

Ciao,

--
FA
O tu, che porte, correndo si ?