Re: [LAD] qjackctl & server name

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 07 2010 - 00:53:44 EEST

On 06/06/2010 10:16 PM, fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 10:12:45PM +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>
>> On 06/06/2010 09:43 PM, fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>>> Qjackctl has the -n option to select a Jack server name,
>>> and recent versions also allow multiple presets.
>>>
>>> What would it take to make the server name a element of
>>> a preset rather than a command line option ?
>>>
>>> That would finally allow to run multiple jacks on the
>>> same machine (something I've been doing quite a lot
>>> recently) without having to start each qjackctl with
>>> a different command line option (e.g. from a desktop
>>> menu).
>>>
>>> And maybe the four start/stop scripts should also be
>>> 'per preset'.
>>>
>>> While we're here: almost no apps support selecting a
>>> specific Jack server. I've been adding this to some
>>> of my own just because I needed it.
>>> Using -n for this can be problematic if the toolset
>>> used doesn't allow context-sensitive options: -n is
>>> also used as a parameter for an ALSA interface, and
>>> some apps support both Jack and ALSA.
>>>

>> JACK_DEFAULT_SERVER environment variable might be your (only) friend here :)
>
> I know. Either that or for qjackctl, -n. But both require
> the choice to be made when the app (in casu qjackctl) is
> launched, while everything else, including the soundcard
> to be used, can be selected later or as part of a preset.
> Both JACK_DEFAULT_SERVER or -n also integrate badly with
> desktop menus or icons used to start a qjackctl instance.
>
> If the soundcard used is part of a preset, the server
> should be as well. Just give it a sensible default, so
> 'almost all' users will never have to modify it.

yep. i'm first to reckon qjackctl was not made/designed for the
multi-jack-server scenario and the previously suggested hack are, yes,
just a hack.

but, as to let any of those client apps connect to the right jack server
(-n), you probably need to lauch them in the right context, ah, unless i
miss the point so badly, that means a precise JACK_DEFAULT_SERVER
contextual (aka shell) setting anyhow

:/

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela