Re: [LAD] meta issue tracker idea

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 07 2010 - 01:06:43 EEST

On 06/06/2010 12:33 AM, Geoff Beasley wrote:
> On 06/06/2010 04:58 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>>
>> I like this idea and I can see a place for it at Linuxaudio.org. A
>> centralised feature/bug/infrastructure tracker.

If someone wants to step forward, hosting it under the umbrella (and on
the server) of linuxaudio.org will be the least issue.

>> I think the hardest part will be to isolate the most important
>> information
>> and present it in a very obvious way. This could easily get left high and
>> dry by making the system too complex for the info that is being
>> aggregated.

Bug-tracking always requires user & developer interaction (confirm,
reproduce, comment..). Merly aggregating or collecting information won't
do much good.

OTOH I really like the idea to improve interoperability between apps.

>> A way to start the system could be to collate the info using rss feeds
>> from the various bug trackers that are already in use.

Testing this idea: http://planet.linuxaudio.org/bugs/
currently collects [only] ardour, jack & qtractor tracker's feeds.
Imagine how this would look with over 50 projects. I doubt it would be
very useful. But things could be improved by using more elaborate
RSS/Atom feed queries..

Anyway, this is a one-way system. Users will need to use
upstream-trackers to submit information. This somehow undermines the
idea of providing feedback for interop issues at a central location.

The easiest way to supplement this would be a linux-audio-bugs
email-list or just re-use this list.

> linuxaudio.org would indeed be a good place for such a tracker, and it
> is indeed a good idea but for the issue of 'updatedness' ie; it would
> need quite some effort to remain up-to-date and therefore relevant and
> useful. If it slipped behind it could in fact have the opposite effect.
> who would be prepared to undertake such a burden? it would need to be
> completely automated as the amount of info could be quite substantial
> quite quickly... seems to me the devil is in the detail.

Indeed. Implementing a centralized cross-project bug & feature tracker
- possibly with bounties - can become quite complex; not to mention it
requires quite some effort to maintain it.

Please proof me wrong. It'd be a great thing to have.

robin