Re: [LAD] meta issue tracker idea

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 07 2010 - 06:26:53 EEST

> On 06/06/2010 12:33 AM, Geoff Beasley wrote:
>> On 06/06/2010 04:58 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>>>
>>> I like this idea and I can see a place for it at Linuxaudio.org. A
>>> centralised feature/bug/infrastructure tracker.
>
> If someone wants to step forward, hosting it under the umbrella (and on
> the server) of linuxaudio.org will be the least issue.
>
>>> I think the hardest part will be to isolate the most important
>>> information
>>> and present it in a very obvious way. This could easily get left high
>>> and
>>> dry by making the system too complex for the info that is being
>>> aggregated.
>
> Bug-tracking always requires user & developer interaction (confirm,
> reproduce, comment..). Merly aggregating or collecting information won't
> do much good.

The feeds provide a link through to the original post so that provides a
way back for contributors and developers.

> OTOH I really like the idea to improve interoperability between apps.
>
>>> A way to start the system could be to collate the info using rss feeds
>>> from the various bug trackers that are already in use.
>
> Testing this idea: http://planet.linuxaudio.org/bugs/
> currently collects [only] ardour, jack & qtractor tracker's feeds.
> Imagine how this would look with over 50 projects. I doubt it would be
> very useful. But things could be improved by using more elaborate
> RSS/Atom feed queries..
>
> Anyway, this is a one-way system. Users will need to use
> upstream-trackers to submit information. This somehow undermines the
> idea of providing feedback for interop issues at a central location.
>
> The easiest way to supplement this would be a linux-audio-bugs
> email-list or just re-use this list.

The bugs feeds is a good start. Did you just set that page up?

I don't like the idea of flooding this list with bug reports. A new list
is an option using the feeds from the bugs page as data. But that is
really just replicating existing functionality. A more productive approach
is to improve on the bugs page now that it exists. For example an "add" /
"submit" new feed button/link would be helpful.

>> linuxaudio.org would indeed be a good place for such a tracker, and it
>> is indeed a good idea but for the issue of 'updatedness' ie; it would
>> need quite some effort to remain up-to-date and therefore relevant and
>> useful. If it slipped behind it could in fact have the opposite effect.
>> who would be prepared to undertake such a burden? it would need to be
>> completely automated as the amount of info could be quite substantial
>> quite quickly... seems to me the devil is in the detail.
>
> Indeed. Implementing a centralized cross-project bug & feature tracker
> - possibly with bounties - can become quite complex; not to mention it
> requires quite some effort to maintain it.
>
> Please proof me wrong. It'd be a great thing to have.

I think you are correct. The trick is figuring out how to move the concept
forward without getting bogged down in minor details.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.