Re: [LAD] meta issue tracker idea

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 07 2010 - 18:09:10 EEST

On 06/07/2010 05:26 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

>> If someone wants to step forward, hosting it under the umbrella (and on
>> the server) of linuxaudio.org will be the least issue.

>> Bug-tracking always requires user & developer interaction (confirm,
>> reproduce, comment..). Merly aggregating or collecting information won't
>> do much good.
>>

> The feeds provide a link through to the original post so that provides a
> way back for contributors and developers.

Yeah, but only one at a time; this is not a "meta tracker".

>> OTOH I really like the idea to improve interoperability between apps.

>> Testing this idea: http://planet.linuxaudio.org/bugs/
>> currently collects [only] ardour, jack & qtractor tracker's feeds.
>> Imagine how this would look with over 50 projects. I doubt it would be
>> very useful. But things could be improved by using more elaborate
>> RSS/Atom feed queries..
>>
>> Anyway, this is a one-way system. Users will need to use
>> upstream-trackers to submit information. This somehow undermines the
>> idea of providing feedback for interop issues at a central location.
>>
>> The easiest way to supplement this would be a linux-audio-bugs
>> email-list or just re-use this list.
>>

> The bugs feeds is a good start. Did you just set that page up?

yes; well we have this planet for a few months now (Nov 2009).
see http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/planet

Making this 2nd planet with feeds from trackers took less than 5 mins.
It's rather a quick experiment to see if something like this can be useful.

> I don't like the idea of flooding this list with bug reports. A new list
> is an option using the feeds from the bugs page as data.

I meant a list for discussion and commenting on bugs, not for
auto-posting/forwarding new bug request there.

> But that is
> really just replicating existing functionality. A more productive approach
> is to improve on the bugs page now that it exists. For example an "add" /
> "submit" new feed button/link would be helpful.

There's a 'tiny' link labeled "FAQ & Subscribe" in the bar on the right.

I don't think automating the submit/add system is a good idea; Marc, Ico
& me are are quite quick filtering SPAM and editing the planetplanet
config-file.

We'll need to update the wiki-page though and improve the HTML-template
for "planet bug". Anyway so far it's just an experiment, not a
maintained service.

>>> linuxaudio.org would indeed be a good place for such a tracker, and it
>>> is indeed a good idea but for the issue of 'updatedness' ie; it would
>>> need quite some effort to remain up-to-date and therefore relevant and
>>> useful. If it slipped behind it could in fact have the opposite effect.
>>> who would be prepared to undertake such a burden? it would need to be
>>> completely automated as the amount of info could be quite substantial
>>> quite quickly... seems to me the devil is in the detail.
>>
>> Indeed. Implementing a centralized cross-project bug & feature tracker
>> - possibly with bounties - can become quite complex; not to mention it
>> requires quite some effort to maintain it.
>>
>> Please proof me wrong. It'd be a great thing to have.
>>

> I think you are correct. The trick is figuring out how to move the concept
> forward without getting bogged down in minor details.

let's keep brainstorming.

robin