Re: [LAD] Does noiseshaping affect quantisation noise?

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2010 - 13:08:27 EEST

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 08:53:43AM +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:

> So the actual problem isn't the noise but its correlation with the signal?

Yes.

> I'm a bit curious about the first graph. The actual signal is the ~1kHz
> one, but what are all the other 'spikes'?

The quantisation error appearing as distortion. This the problem
that is solved by using dithering.

1 kHz at FS = 48 kHz means a period of exactly 48 samples, the
same values are repeated for each period. So the quantisation
error is periodic as well, with a period of 1 kHz. In other
words, distortion. Adding noise randomizes the quantisation
error.

Ciao,

--
FA