Re: [LAD] minimal LV2

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 13 2010 - 23:17:07 EEST

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 12:58:11PM -0400, Jeremy wrote:

> I would like to add that as a beginner to LV2 plugins, I found the use of
> urls to be *extremely* confusing.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

> If your goal is to have documentation easily accessible, then a line
> <docurl=http://blah> would serve the purpose just as well. The way it's
> currently set up, you have no idea if the URL is dereferenceable, or even
> supposed to be dereferenceable.

I've been wondering what is the purpose of things like:

@prefix : <http://lv2plug.in/ns/lv2core#> .
@prefix rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
@prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
@prefix xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema> .
@prefix doap: <http://usefulinc.com/ns/doap#> .
@prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .

where 'doap' stands for 'Description Of A Project', and
'foaf' for 'Friend Of A Friend'.

If this has to be part of an LV2 plugin somehow (and it's not
clear if it has to be or not), AND whatever software that is
reading this is *not* supposed to follow these links and find
some information there, what is the purpose ?

If these things are not a required part of any LV2 file, what
are they doing in the documentation (except confusing people) ?

I'm more and more convinced that people creating these sort of
thing entertain the illusion that they somehow create meaning
while there is none. It looks more like an extreme form of
illiteracy, a complete failure to convey meaning in a form that
makes sense to a human.

Ciao,

--
FA