Re: [LAD] minimal LV2

From: Steve Harris <steve@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 14 2010 - 10:04:06 EEST

On 2010-06-13, at 21:17, fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 12:58:11PM -0400, Jeremy wrote:
>
>> I would like to add that as a beginner to LV2 plugins, I found the use of
>> urls to be *extremely* confusing.
>
> Glad to know I'm not the only one.
>
>> If your goal is to have documentation easily accessible, then a line
>> <docurl=http://blah> would serve the purpose just as well. The way it's
>> currently set up, you have no idea if the URL is dereferenceable, or even
>> supposed to be dereferenceable.
>
> I've been wondering what is the purpose of things like:
>
> @prefix : <http://lv2plug.in/ns/lv2core#> .
> @prefix rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
> @prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
> @prefix xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema> .
> @prefix doap: <http://usefulinc.com/ns/doap#> .
> @prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
>
> where 'doap' stands for 'Description Of A Project', and
> 'foaf' for 'Friend Of A Friend'.

So, the plugin contains a certain amount of "metadata". Things like the licence, the author, where to go and find documentation, and so on.

The DOAP and FOAF schemas can express this information and are widely used on the internet (there are in excess of 200M FOAF files out there), so reusing their structures makes sense.

http://lv2plug.in/spec/lv2.ttl defines what data must be present.

> If these things are not a required part of any LV2 file, what
> are they doing in the documentation (except confusing people) ?
>
> I'm more and more convinced that people creating these sort of
> thing entertain the illusion that they somehow create meaning
> while there is none. It looks more like an extreme form of
> illiteracy, a complete failure to convey meaning in a form that
> makes sense to a human.

Oh joy. Random ad hominem attacks remind me why I lost interest in the free software "community".

I'm not quite sure why you have come to such a dismissive conclusion, of a technology that you admit you don't understand. It's always possible that the many thousands of companies using this technology to solve real world problems are operating under some sort of mass hysteria of course, but I don't think so.

If you actually care, and that is not just an attempt at rabble-rousing, try reading something at http://linkeddata.org/guides-and-tutorials - http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html is particularly clear and to the point.

- Steve