Re: [LAD] Qt GUI for LV2 Plugin

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 15 2010 - 13:05:13 EEST

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:03:51 +0400, Louigi Verona wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Luis Garrido wrote:
>
>> > So I've written a GUI, and I've gotten a better understanding
>> > of how the Qt framework works. It seems to me that all that
>> > would be necessary is for the host to pass a pointer to a QWidget,
>> > which the plugin adds itself to, and the rest can behave exactly
>> > like the ui:GtkUI. If I'm not mistaken, all that would be necessary
>> > it to write a new rdf file.
>>
>> That's the easy part. Now all that is necessary is that _host
>> developers_ include support for a ui:QtUI extension. That will be
>> especially difficult is the host is a Gtk app. Welcome to the plugin
>> UI holy wars. :-)
>>
>> Also your plugin outputs MIDI, I don't know how many hosts include
>> support for that, but I'd reckon not a lot.
>>
>> At this moment of Linux Audio Plugin History I'd recommend you to
>> convert your plugin into a standalone application. Then you can add
>> whatever GUI you want and don't have to worry about connectivity
>> issues and host compatibility, since all will be handled by
>> jack/jack-midi/alsa-seq. Add lash or jack-session support and we are
>> good to go.
>>

> Should work fine with Qtractor at least )))

nope.

qtractor does the lv2 external-ui extension only. this is the only lv2 ui
extension that is framework/toolkit agnostic.

it is my stance that all lv2 plugin authors should make their plugins
independent of the host implementation gui toolkit. the lv2 external-ui
extension delivers this independence. you can either do in-process or
out-of-process (like dssi), and most importantly you can do it on whatever
toolkit you believe sucks less.

nb. lv2ui:gtk plugins will only show on gtk hosts. lv2ui:qt plugins will
only show on qt hosts, if there will ever be one that supports it
specifically. qtractor won't be one of them, sorry.

fwiw, use the lv2 external-ui extension.

stay away from all gtk (qt) lock-in (lock-out) epidemics ;)

cheers

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@email-addr-hidden