Re: [LAD] Qt GUI for LV2 Plugin

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 15 2010 - 13:21:25 EEST

"At this moment of Linux Audio Plugin History I'd recommend you to
convert your plugin into a standalone application. Then you can add
whatever GUI you want and don't have to worry about connectivity
issues and host compatibility, since all will be handled by
jack/jack-midi/alsa-seq. Add lash or jack-session support and we are
good to go."

I would like to comment this paragraph and advice strongly against what is
suggested here.

Standalone application is cool, but I don't think that Linux needs more
standalone applications which you cannot
save into a project, but which you have to reopen, etc. We need more plugins
and I urge all devs to prioritize plugins
over standalone at any time.

To illustrate my point, please read this article:
http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_modexp

Please, please consider this seriously. We really need more plugins and less
standalone apps. Any plugin can become a standalone
app with the use of effect racks, be it JACK Rack or LV2 Rack, but not vice
versa.

--
Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.ru/