Re: [LAD] GPL and plugins

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Mon Jun 21 2010 - 23:31:09 EEST

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Victor Lazzarini
<Victor.Lazzarini@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> The plugin is just a Free software plugin, that is GPL, distributed in
> binary form and source code etc. It is written as a plugin, so it can be
> used by any host of the same API. The host will load this plugin instead of
> the proprietary non-free plugin that it replaces. The plugin is made
> available separately, but is also bundled with the host, which loads it
> automatically.

I would be uneasy about that last bit -- the fact that the host treats
this plugin differently from others. I think we're deep within a
genuine grey area here (an area that is both completely untested and
in which people's opinions differ) but I could well imagine an
argument being made on the basis of the interdependence of plugin and
host.

> My reasons for asking this are that I was asked to write such a plugin and
> i) I don't normally do proprietary software; ii) I don't like to reinvent
> the wheel. If I can't provide a free solution, I may as well not take the
> job.

If I were in this position, I think I would not feel comfortable
providing a GPL plugin.

That's probably about all I can say though, and one person's
ill-supported opinion probably isn't of much use.

Chris