Re: [LAD] [Fwd: Re: No nagging, a serious question]

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 05 2010 - 02:08:53 EEST

On Sunday 04 July 2010, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
>On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 22:16 +0100, Dan Mills wrote:
>> You could probably hack a multi serial port card to do multiple midi
>> ports (Change the rock to give a suitable divider for 31250 baud
>> (4MHz?), add current loop interfaces)...
>
>Been there, done that - when I was a penniless dole-scrounging scruffy
>university drop-out living on a farm in the middle of nowhere, I decided
>I needed a MIDI sequencer. So, I modified an old serial card with a
>4MHz crystal which divides to 31250 baud, and wrote a simple
>tracker-style sequencer in a mixture of C and assembler on DOS. It
>worked, kind of. If you wanted to do anything really wild like change
>the tempo you needed to recompile.
>
>Gordon MM0YEQ

As for the serial card with a different crystal, BTDT, on a TRS-80 Color
Computer 3. Not only that, but the software, Ultimuse-III, written by Mike
Knudsen could handle the serial card and the bitbanger at the same time, so
I actually had 2 ports and drove two different midi keyboards each with
their own midi voice assignments. This on a machine with 60 ticks/second
IRQ's for a clock. And neither port had any extra added buffers, it Just
Worked(TM).

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)