Re: [LAD] Feature request for FIL-Plugins

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Jul 07 2010 - 21:23:50 EEST

On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 19:51 +0200, fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 05:12:56PM +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> > It doesn't help plugin developers either if they have to
> > chose between 5-7 plugin APIs, knowing that, whatever they
> > chose, only a, often tiny, subset of programs will be able
> > to load the plugin.
>
> That again is not something that keeps me awake at night.
> In fact it would provide a form of natural selection.

Natural selection.

I bet as soon as Qtractor will have some additional features or as soon
as Ardour3 is released, the Linux people who now wish to have 1000 apps,
will switch to the one in all solution too. The people who still wish to
use 1000 apps could run 10 hosts, so this shouldn't be an issue.
Natural selection will be done by the first all in one solutions for
Linux, another for the future might be Rosegarden.

I guess a developer just needs to take a look at what is supported by
(in lexically order) Ardour, Qtractor and Rosegarden as host.

- Ralf