Re: [LAD] Feature request for FIL-Plugins

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 07 2010 - 20:51:29 EEST

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 05:12:56PM +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:

> I'm just afraid that it might end up as a pretty much app specific
> thing, similar to MESS and RHSP.

That would be perfectly OK for me. I'm not after popularity,
and I'm writing these things in the first place for myself.

> What's the point of a plugin API
> 'standard' when there's a single host supporting the thing?

Apart from the host(s) I'll provide (one of which is an app on
its own, the other a pure plugin host) that would probably be
the case anyway.

Actually, for a host author implementing this standard directly
would be easier than trying to squeeze it into an existing LV2
framework - some things are quite different.

> It doesn't help plugin developers either if they have to
> chose between 5-7 plugin APIs, knowing that, whatever they
> chose, only a, often tiny, subset of programs will be able
> to load the plugin.

That again is not something that keeps me awake at night.
In fact it would provide a form of natural selection. The
main point of this series of plugins will be *quality*.
I'm not really waiting to see the N-th 'I-dont-understand-it-
but-copied-it-from-some-textbook' algorithm being added to it.
There are already enough of those, and that in itself is a
good reason for not wanting to be associated with existing
standards.

Ciao,

--
Je veux que la mort me trouve plantant mes choux, mais
nonchalant d’elle, et encore plus de mon jardin imparfait.