Re: [LAD] Tests directly routing pc's midi-in to midi-out (was: Re: ALSA MIDI latency test results are far away from reality)

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 15 2010 - 10:56:28 EEST

On Thursday 15 July 2010 01:14:45 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 00:46 +0200, fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> > Apart from that, it remains to be seen if *real* timing errors of
> > +/- 2 ms do 'destroy the groove'. To test this, make the same
> > recording
> >
> > - without jitter,
> > - with 1 ms jitter,
> > - with 2 ms jitter,
> > - with 3 ms jitter.
> >
> > and check if listeners are able to identify which is which,
> > or at least to put them into order.
> I know very gifted musicians who do like me and they always 'preach'
> that I should stop using modern computers and I don't know much averaged
> people. So the listeners in my flat for sure would be able to hear even
> failure that I'm unable to hear.

You really should do that test first before speculating about the outcome and
your audience.

You would expect Audiophiles to spot the "super sounding" denon cables by
listening, right? Yet a blind test showed the opposite. The test was to
identify which audio take was played with denon-cables, el-cheapo cables from
walmart and a bended cloth-hanger. If they where as good as they claimed, the
denon-cable should get hits with probability significantly better then 1/3,
otherwise its just luck.
Guess what the outcome was: There was a significant hit: But they spotted the
cloth-hanger as the denon-cable. Thats what real experts do...

Do the listening test with as many people as possible and then show the
results. And only afterwards start the speculations what the reason and the
effects might be. (Thats called science btw.)

Have fun,

Arnold