Re: [LAD] Tests directly routing pc's midi-in to midi-out (was: Re: ALSA MIDI latency test results are far away from reality)

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 15 2010 - 11:07:13 EEST

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 01:46:41AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I don't know any pipe organ for a church in Parma, but I'm sure if the
> keyboarder pushes a key the sound will be audible at the same time.

Absoulutely not. Organ pipes take some time before they will sound,
this can easily be 20 ms and considerably more for some. Apart from
that pipes are not all at the same distance from the player, this
again can easily introduce variations of 20 ms or more, even between
pipes of the same rank.

> I guess, Aeolus will play every note on real time when played by a Linux
> sequencer, e.g. Qtractor, but I guess not when played by my master
> keyboard, played by an organist.

Aeolus doesn't care or even know where the MIDI is coming from.
And it does quantise note on/off to Jack periods. Nobody ever
complained about that.

Ciao,

--
Je veux que la mort me trouve plantant mes choux, mais
nonchalant d’elle, et encore plus de mon jardin imparfait.