Re: [LAD] Tests directly routing pc's midi-in to midi-out (was: Re: ALSA MIDI latency test results are far away from reality)

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu Jul 15 2010 - 02:46:41 EEST

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 00:46 +0200, fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:
[snip]

What 'we' are able to 'hear' differs to what 'we' are able to 'feel'
while playing an MIDI instrument. After listening 10 minutes to a bad
timing, I'm unable to differ between a bad and a good timing, this is
human. Try to distinguish odours, not two or there but twenty or thirty.

The feeling a musician has got, while playing is also important.

I don't know any pipe organ for a church in Parma, but I'm sure if the
keyboarder pushes a key the sound will be audible at the same time. I
guess, Aeolus will play every note on real time when played by a Linux
sequencer, e.g. Qtractor, but I guess not when played by my master
keyboard, played by an organist. I don't know, I never tested it, but
regarding to what I experienced, I'm sure on my machine there is some
kind of real, serious, very bad timing issue, when using hw MIDI.