Re: [LAD] Tests directly routing pc's midi-in to midi-out (was: Re: ALSA MIDI latency test results are far away from reality)

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Jul 16 2010 - 14:23:17 EEST

On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 07:02 -0400, drew Roberts wrote:
> On Friday 16 July 2010 06:06:02 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > It's impossible to do neutral measurements and from a democratically
> > worldview listening to recordings without dynamic is the winner.
>
> My personal take is that I would prefer different mixes for different uses.
> When out walking on dangerous streets with my earphones in I have to keep the
> volume low if I hope to hear road noise. A mix with wide dynamic range ends
> with me not hearing the quiet passages as cars pass but hearing a mix of car
> and recording in the loud passages.
>
> So I might want a mix with little dynamic range for this situation. I need to
> make some and see if it works out better.
>
> all the best,
>
> drew

Good argument ;), but regarding to Darwinism you better don't listen to
music while being in the jungle ... 'sometimes it makes me wonder how I
keep from going under' (Grandmaster Flash).

Of course, I like multi-band compressors, e.g. JAMin too. I'm not a Bob
Katz fan or an anti-compressor-hardliner.

I just want to point out that measured results are less important (not
unimportant).

- Ralf