Re: [LAD] Can someone add 2 features to Kluppe?

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 20 2010 - 02:06:48 EEST

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> Hello guys!
> I would like to ask any of the developers who might be interested to help a
> musician out!
> Original Kluppe developer seems very busy these days. And his programm
> lacks two things I really need for my musical work.
> I am ready to pay for the work. All the details below.
>
> *1. Feature 1 - random play.*
>
> When on Windows, I wrote a simple programm for myself, called Tape Loops.
> It could play sounds either once or in a loop. The special function which I
> added to it was "random play". What it did was allow you to define a period
> of time in seconds. And the programm would trigger the sound randomly
> somewhere within this period. So, if the period is 20 seconds, the programm
> would play the sound either in 5 seconds, or in 10 or in 7 or in 20. When
> the sounds stops playing, the timer is reset and the program once more
> chooses a random moment to trigger the sound within the given period. By
> changing the period the musician can make the sound get triggered more often
> or less often.
>
> The demo of how this program works can be viewed here:
> http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=software&t=tapeloops&a=tapeloops_tapeloops1
>
> It is a great feature - it helps a lot an ambient composer like myself and
> is greatly useful for installations.
> On Linux I have tried some programming, but even setting up JACK is very
> difficult for me, I am absolutely not a strong desktop programmer. So
> writing something like that from scratch on Linux is not realistic for me. I
> tried Kluppe, which is the closest thing, it is a great piece of software,
> but I studied the code for several days, tried some things, but apart from
> changing the colors, I do not seem to be able to do anything meaningful.
>
> So I would like to ask someone to do this job for me. To add a timer to a
> kluppe looper and to allow this "random play" mode, where the musician can
> put a looper into random play mode and define the period.
>
> *2. Feature 2 - basic midi control.*
>
> Looking through Kluppe code, I saw that a lot of midi is already done, but
> it is not "attached" to the controls. I might be wrong and there may be more
> work than it seems, but anyway. I would want to be able to assign midi
> control to triggering loops, volume and panning - at least that. Otherwise,
> Kluppe is very difficult to use in a live performance.
>
> However, instead of proposing to allow to create separate controls for each
> looper like they have in SooperLooper, I would advice (and actually, ask for
> this feature to be implemented in such a manner) to instead go for the
> Selected looper scheme. So that one would not need a dozen of knobs to
> control things. There should be an ability to have one "Selected" looper.
> Similar to what Dj Traktor Studio has. So you are binding midi not to a
> definite looper, but to the Selected looper, and thus you would require only
> [...]

Hey guys!

Some time ago I have asked someone to look into Kluppe and add a couple of
features.
My request was not ignored and Patrick Shirkey was kind enough to volunteer
to try to help.

However, he came upon a difficulty and that is - *how do you set up an
asynchronous timer in C?*

It stopped right there. I was wondering if anyone could help us with that
matter?

Cheers!

--
Louigi Verona