Re: [LAD] Attenuation of sounds in 3D space

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 22 2010 - 00:23:03 EEST

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 17:10:35 -0400
Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:
> > @ nonsense and bullshit, where are the examples that it works?
> >
> > There is no valid recording with more than 1 or 2 channels, regarding to
> > a natural impression. Some art projects that didn't try to give a
> > natural impression are something very, very different.
> >
> > Most audio engineers still fail regarding to stereo and mono issues. I
> > wonder about the geniuses who are able to do 5.1 and all the other
> > stuff.
> >
> > Please post links to the geniuses work, but call me names.
>
> ralf, you simply don't have any idea what you're talking about, unless
> you try to limit your comments to commercially released material. you
> made no indication that you intended to use this limitation.
>
> people have been recording with/for ambisonics for nearly 40 years
> now. recording with multiple microphones (including things like the
> eigenmike http://www.mhacoustics.com/mh_acoustics/Eigenmike_microphone_array.html
> which by itself makes your point null and void) is common enough that
> sound on sound has articles on it.

I remember when 2001 first came out, being totally astonished by the
sequence where the ape-man first uses a bone as a club. There was the
totally realistic effect of a gust of wind moving from the screen to the
rear of the cinema. I've no idea what system was in use, but it
certainly wasn't 2 channel stereo!

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk