Re: [LAD] Attenuation of sounds in 3D space

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 22 2010 - 14:48:51 EEST

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 7:44 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:
> The picture to the quote „The best listening position is where I sit in
> a live performance. With IOSONO you can put the entire audience in my
> lap.“ Herbie Hancock, doesn't look like 5.1 or something similar:
> http://www.iosono-sound.com/common/files/header/home1_tresor.jpg

this is about *audio*. what is looks like tells you almost nothing. in
addition, you don't ned anything fancy to listen to B-format
recordings, and one of the major reasons for that is fons' open source
decoder that will allow you to listen to them with any jack-enabled
audio player and your existing equipment. you also don't need any
particular speaker setup, although clearly one of the points of
ambisonics is that (up to a limit) adding more speakers enables a more
accurate recreation of sound placement within 3D to be achieved.