Re: [LAD] Attenuation of sounds in 3D space

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 22 2010 - 15:51:00 EEST

Hi,

On Thursday 22 July 2010 14:01:36 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 01:04 +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > We are not talking about 5.1 or 7.1 here. These suck big time.
> > We are talking about ambisonics vs. binaurals vs. simple stereo here!
> Ok, I noticed this.
> Fon's AmbDec is the player for the files from
> http://www.ambisonia.com/?!

No. Decoder != Player. Please read the (very fine!) manual to ambdec.
And then use any jack-aware player to play the files. I use mplayer and that
works great.

> I guess a friend who lives near to my home has at least 8 outputs for an
> Envy24 sound card and at least a JBL 5.1 setup, so the 5.1 speakers
> could be used for a minimalist ambisonics.

Keep in mind that 5.1 systems are only a poor substitute for ambisonics set-
ups.
Even when using jbl-speakers, the set up is still different resulting from the
different use cases. 5.1 is practically stereo. Its one mono for the voices
(called center), one stereo for music and ambient (called front) and one
stereo for special effects (called rear). [Forget about that extra channel for
lfe which tries to be smarter then the user.]
Ambisonics is really every channel with the same priority and use-case. It
will not matter whether you use the set up with "front" at positiv-x direction
or 130° rotated around the z axis and 30° rotated around the x axis (when
using a full 3D rig). It will sound all the same. And the speakers in the room
have to be set up for this.
Also the speakers are all supposed to be equally away from the listener for
best performance, with 5.1 the rear is supposed to be much nearer to the
listeners than the front and center.

You see ambisonics and 5.1 are different things. Because of that your (and my)
aversion against 5.1 can not be held against ambisonics. And because of that a
5.1 set-up is only of limited use for ambisonics re-production.

Have fun,

Arnold