Re: [LAD] twice as loud

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 23 2010 - 00:24:24 EEST

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 01:56:41PM -0700, James Warden wrote:

> > This is
> > probably closer to the object size comparison.
> > I wonder how well we can judge something like twice the
> > brightness.
>
> or smelling a perfume twice stronger :)

A very nice analogy, taking us even deeper into fuzzy territory...

> It reminds me a little about intensive and extensive variables
> in physics. That may well be unrelated though ...

I don't think it is directly related to that particular
difference. But it certainly is related to a more general
form of it - seeing each 'unit' in its own domain, and
some domains being fully isolated from others.

We all agree on what 'red' means. Because we have learned
the meaning of that word by association. But do we 'see'
the same thing ? AFAIK, that is impossible to verify.

Ciao,

--
FA
There are three of them, and Alleline.