Re: [LAD] twice as loud

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Jul 23 2010 - 08:56:28 EEST

On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 23:53 +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> Excerpts from fons's message of 2010-07-22 23:24:24 +0200:

> > > or smelling a perfume twice stronger :)
> >
> > A very nice analogy, taking us even deeper into fuzzy territory...
> >
> > > It reminds me a little about intensive and extensive variables
> > > in physics. That may well be unrelated though ...
> >
> > I don't think it is directly related to that particular
> > difference. But it certainly is related to a more general
> > form of it - seeing each 'unit' in its own domain, and
> > some domains being fully isolated from others.
> >
> > We all agree on what 'red' means. Because we have learned
> > the meaning of that word by association. But do we 'see'
> > the same thing ? AFAIK, that is impossible to verify.
> >
> > Ciao,
> >
> > --
> > FA
>
> This however is a thing I did wonder about. The general question of
> whether perception is the same for every human, whether colors are the
> same and so on. It most likely is hard to impossible to verify, but I
> have to assume it is at least similar. It's a very nice question for
> sure.

Most people have the same emotions, e.g. red = warm, blue = cold, even
if others might 'see' red as green instead of red. Btw. for colours
there were made tests, at what point the smallest visible difference to
the 'next' nuance is. The question about the colour is often asked by
children, at least by gifted children. And indeed we need to learn how
the colours are named. We much earlier have an impression of twice as
loud, perhaps we need to learn this too, but I guess most people, me
too, don't remember that this happened. We do know what 'twice as' is,
before we know what fractional arithmetic is.
In fact people do think different, simplified there are right and left
brained thinking people, artists often are left-hander, dyslexics etc.,
also there is the difference between people who think 'verbal' or
'nonverbal' e.g. by colours. But emotions are most of the times equal,
even thoughts are most of the times equal. How often do we read
something on a mailing list and did thought the same? We can assume that
our brains 'see' 'red' as similar the same colour. And most of us will
'hear' twice as loud for 'usual' loudness and 'usual' music, speech
around 10dB, but e.g. 6dB, even if 6dB is measurable for twice as near
to a sound source, IIRC.
For children it's natural to think about, that other people might see
colours etc. very different, for adults this is more common for people
who guess that they are much different than other people.
Most of us IQ 80 or IQ 140 do have the same impressions, not the same
interests and taste, but yes, red seems to be red and twice as loud
seems to be twice as loud for most of us.