Re: [LAD] twice as loud

From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 25 2010 - 15:24:22 EEST

Excerpts from fons's message of 2010-07-25 13:57:00 +0200:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 01:32:01PM +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
>
> > I had some more thoughts regarding masking.
> > If B masks A == B twice as loud?
> > Is it that simple?
>
> No :-(
>
> Masking depends on spectrum, timing, level, and maybe other factors.
> It's a complex thing and I don't think we have the full picture of
> it yet.
>
> For simple cases (narrowband signals, simultaneous, same direction)
> the concept of 'critical bands' is used to describe masking.

Ok, as so often I wasn't clear enough.
I know that masking depends on a lot of things, and I only mentioned the
extreme timing cases in this mail. We can't judge loudness when one
signal actually masks the other, and it becomes increasingly difficult
as the time between sounds becomes longer. If there is a relation
between loudness and masking it's an estimation of the masking effect
one sound would have over another.
It would be strange but funny if an estimate of sound A just about
masking sound B would correspond to 'twice as loud'.

--
Philipp