Re: [LAD] Document on using Jack Apps

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 03 2010 - 01:06:19 EEST

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Arvind Venkatasubramanian
<mdu.arvind@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> [Arvind@email-addr-hidden-01 ~]$ jaaa -J -d hw:Intel -r 16000
> Connected to JACK with 4 inputs and 4 outputs
> mlockall: Cannot allocate memory

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's the error in that instance.

> However for higher sampling rates, I am able to open JAAA without even
> issuing jackd command to start JACK separately.
> [Arvind@email-addr-hidden-01 ~]$ jaaa -A -d hw:Intel

Not suprising, since you're EXPLICITLY telling jaaa to use its own
ALSA backend, and not to use JACK.

> While JAAA is running, I am not able to start Jdelay.  Once JAAA operates
> alongside other Jack applications, I will be able to patch the output of

JACK requires more-or-less exclusive access to the audio interface. If
jaaa is using it (via its own ALSA backend), then JACK cannot run.

You seem quite confused about the role of JACK and ALSA.

--p