Re: [LAD] Document on using Jack Apps

From: Arvind Venkatasubramanian <mdu.arvind@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 03 2010 - 00:15:21 EEST

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 4:23 AM, <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 11:06:36PM -0400, Arvind Venkatasubramanian wrote:
>
> > Everytime I changed the qJACKctl parameter settings, I "DID" stop Jackd,
> > quited Jack,
>
> What do you mean by 'quited Jack' ? Are you running jackd in a terminal ?
> Then Qjackctl's settings will not affect it. Just use the Start/Stop
> buttons in Qjackctl.
>
> Also check your sound card mixer. Make sure you don't loop back the input
> to output there. And use Jaaa to check the input signal - it could be
> clipping. You should see 7 frequencies, the strongest at FS/16, and the
> six others at lower level and frequency (or just compare the the output
> of Jdelay).
>
> 10 ms latency at 8 khz will be difficult, just a good antialising
> filter will produce something like that. No problem at 48 kHz.
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA

Using Jdelay for fs = 8 KHz, I am measuring 6.359 ms and for 16 KHz, 3.466
ms without Xrun interrupts. But I need to verify this with JAAA as per your
idea but I am having issues there.

[Arvind@email-addr-hidden-01 ~]$ jackd -r -d alsa -r 16000 -n 1 -p 32 -S 16 -s -H -M
jackd 0.118.0
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and
others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY . This is free software, and you
are welcome to redistribute it

apparent rate = 16000
creating alsa driver ...
hw:0|hw:0|32|2|16000|0|0|hwmon|hwmeter|soft-mode|16bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 16000Hz, period = 32 frames (2.0 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
jack main caught signal 15

[Arvind@email-addr-hidden-01 ~]$ jack_delay
capture latency = 32
playback_latency = 32
Signal below threshold...
Signal below threshold...
Signal below threshold...
Signal below threshold...
Signal below threshold...
Signal below threshold...
Signal below threshold...
   152.708 frames 3.463 ms ?? Inv
   152.826 frames 3.465 ms Inv
   152.824 frames 3.465 ms Inv
   152.823 frames 3.465 ms Inv
   152.821 frames 3.465 ms Inv
   152.834 frames 3.466 ms Inv
   152.821 frames 3.465 ms Inv
   152.832 frames 3.466 ms Inv

After starting Jack, I am able to run Jdelay. But I am not able to run
JAAA

[Arvind@email-addr-hidden-01 ~]$ jackd -r -d alsa -r 16000 -n 1 -p 32 -S 16 -s -H -M
jackd 0.118.0
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and
others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it

apparent rate = 16000
creating alsa driver ...
hw:0|hw:0|32|2|16000|0|0|hwmon|hwmeter|soft-mode|16bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 16000Hz, period = 32 frames (2.0 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

[Arvind@email-addr-hidden-01 ~]$ jaaa -A -d hw:Intel -r 16000
Alsa_driver: Cannot open PCM device hw:Intel for playback.
Alsa_driver: Cannot open PCM device hw:Intel for capture.
Can't connect to ALSA
[Arvind@email-addr-hidden-01 ~]$ jaaa -J -d hw:Intel -r 16000
Connected to JACK with 4 inputs and 4 outputs
mlockall: Cannot allocate memory
Closing JACK...
[Arvind@email-addr-hidden-01 ~]$

However for higher sampling rates, I am able to open JAAA without even
issuing jackd command to start JACK separately.

[Arvind@email-addr-hidden-01 ~]$ jaaa -A -d hw:Intel
playback :
  nchan : 2
  rate : 48000
  frsize : 1024
  nfrags : 2
  format : S32_LE
  capture :
  nchan : 2
  rate : 48000
  frsize : 1024
  nfrags : 2
  format : S32_LEsynced
Connected to ALSA with 2 inputs and 2 outputs
Can't create ALSA thread with RT priority
mlockall: Cannot allocate memory
Closing ALSA...
[Arvind@email-addr-hidden-01 ~]$

While JAAA is running, I am not able to start Jdelay. Once JAAA operates
alongside other Jack applications, I will be able to patch the output of
Jdelay to JAAA and see if I can see those 7 tones that you internally use in
Jdelay for latency measurements. Can you please suggest some inputs here?

Regards,
Arvind V