Re: [LAD] Best way to insert DSP module in audio chain in Linux

From: Kim Therkelsen <kim_t26@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 30 2010 - 15:48:32 EEST

> > I have tried loading the LADSPA-module using the module-ladspa-sink in
> > PulseAudio but I am not sure this is the best solution.
>
> It is the recommended solution if you are using PA for your sound server.

Why is it better than loading it using the ALSA LADSPA plugin loader module?
To me it seems better to load it into ALSA because it does not depend on whether PulseAudio is used or not.
If it should be used in different Linux based operating systems I can not always rely on PulseAudio being present.

> > 2) Must be able to process stereo and multichannel (5.1/7.1) formats. I
> > need the multichannel formats to perform binaural downmixing to
> > stereo.
>
> I'm not sure how the dolby multichannel support is in ALSA. It may depend
> on the internal capabilities of the device.
>
> > So it is important that I can receive multichannel audio and mix it down
> > to stereo and output it to a stereo soundcard.
> >

> This may better handled in app.

The idea is that I perform the same processing no matter what user application is used to playback the audio/video.
The plugin must receive the raw six (or eight) channel audio PCM stream.
So I do not want to make the DSP processing specific to some special application only.

/Kim