Re: [LAD] Best way to insert DSP module in audio chain in Linux

From: Kim Therkelsen <kim_t26@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 30 2010 - 16:45:27 EEST

> > The idea is that I perform the same processing no matter what user
> > application is used to playback the audio/video.
> > The plugin must receive the raw six (or eight) channel audio PCM stream.
> > So I do not want to make the DSP processing specific to some special
> > application only.
> >

> It's a noble goal but as you are attempting to cater to such a varied
> range of systems that it is hard to recommend a perfect solution. You
> should really isolate the core requirements and minimum apps that it will
> work with then it will be easier for people to make a suggestion that fits
> your needs.

Yes , I understand, there probably is no simple answer.
I normally make applications for Microsoft Windows and don't know much about Linux.
If you make a virtual sound card in Windows you have a solution that covers all applications.
I assume it must be possible to do something similar in Linux.

I want to use the solution in Meego, Android, and Google Chrome OS - if possible.
I do not know what applications the end user is going to use, and I might not need
multichannel audio support for all the operating systems. All the operating systems
are based on Linux so they must have something in common regarding the audio chain
(such as ALSA) where I can plug our DSP code in.

/Kim