Re: [LAD] Best way to insert DSP module in audio chain in Linux

From: Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabrbedd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 30 2010 - 17:11:06 EEST

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Kim Therkelsen wrote:

>>> The idea is that I perform the same processing no matter what user
>>> application is used to playback the audio/video.
>>> The plugin must receive the raw six (or eight) channel audio PCM stream.
>>> So I do not want to make the DSP processing specific to some special
>>> application only.
[snip]

> I want to use the solution in Meego, Android, and Google
> Chrome OS - if possible. I do not know what applications

MeeGo: pulseaudio or ALSA
Google: pulseaudio or ALSA (AFAIK)

With Android, Linux is just a prop to get the JVM started...
so your solution will probably need to be in Java there.

> All the operating systems are based on Linux so they must
> have something in common regarding the audio chain (such
> as ALSA) where I can plug our DSP code in.

PulseAudio: if you implement it here, you will probably get
the most bang for your buck... and it is more likely to
integrate well into the end-user's system. However,
PulseAudio is not a "universal" solution for Linux. (For
example, Pro Audio users will often uninstall PulseAudio
from their systems.)

ALSA: ALSA /is/ universal to Linux and is definately capable
of doing this task. You'll probably want to implement it as
an ALSA plug-in. However, the end-user experience is
usually not as slick and (IMHO) the ALSA API is a fickle
friend. Also, more times than not I hear people say, "DON'T
use the ______ ALSA plug-in. It's totally broken. Instead
use [SOME USER APPLICATION ALTERNATIVE]."

-gabriel