Re: [LAD] Basic Question: SND/SOUND Libraries Seem to be Missing

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 13 2010 - 00:40:42 EEST

On 09/12/2010 09:17 PM, Rory Filer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Let me point out in advance that my problem is pretty trivial compared to
> most of the postings on that list. If a journey in sound engineering on
> Linux is 1000 steps, I'm at step 1 here. I basically tried configuring sound
> into the kernel but it didn't seem to work. If you think you can help,
> please read on. Otherwise, stop here.
>
> And thanks to all who continue from here...
>
> I want to build sound support into my embedded Linux platform (2.6.28); the
> CPU supports I2S in silicon, but I haven't got a driver for that yet. My
> plan is to build the kernel with SOUND/SND configurations enabled and start
> working on the driver later. In my configurations, I've left all the sound
> card-specific options out, keeping just the CONFIG_SND_SOC. I thought it
> would be sufficient to install snd-dummy so that any cross-compiled audio
> applications could be fooled into working. l rebuilt the kernel after *make
> clean* and noted several new SND files being compiled. So far so good. The
> final zImage was only a little larger. Overall, the configuration and build
> seemed to be going through all the right motions, but when I loaded zImage
> onto the target I didn't see any bootup logging that suggested audio was now
> working. As an experiment, I tried to insmod snd_dummy.ko but got a long
> list of errors. I guess I'm missing something basic.
>
> Here's my configuration choices:
>
>> CONFIG_SOUND=m
>> CONFIG_SOUND_OSS_CORE=y
>> CONFIG_SND=m
>> CONFIG_SND_TIMER=m
>> CONFIG_SND_PCM=m
>> # CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER is not set
>> CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
>> CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
>> CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
>> CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS_PLUGINS=y
>> # CONFIG_SND_DYNAMIC_MINORS is not set
>> CONFIG_SND_SUPPORT_OLD_API=y
>> CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PROCFS=y
>> # CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK is not set
>> # CONFIG_SND_DEBUG is not set
>> CONFIG_SND_DRIVERS=y
>> # CONFIG_SND_PCSP is not set
>> CONFIG_SND_DUMMY=m
>> # CONFIG_SND_MTPAV is not set
>> # CONFIG_SND_MTS64 is not set
>> # CONFIG_SND_SERIAL_U16550 is not set
>> # CONFIG_SND_MPU401 is not set
>> # CONFIG_SND_PORTMAN2X4 is not set
>> # CONFIG_SND_ISA is not set
>> # CONFIG_SND_PCI is not set
>> # CONFIG_SND_SPI is not set
>> # CONFIG_SND_USB is not set
>> # CONFIG_SND_PCMCIA is not set
>> CONFIG_SND_SOC=m
>> CONFIG_SND_SOC_ALL_CODECS=m
>> CONFIG_SND_SOC_AD73311=m
>> CONFIG_SND_SOC_AK4535=m
>> CONFIG_SND_SOC_CS4270=m
>> CONFIG_SND_SOC_SSM2602=m
>> CONFIG_SND_SOC_TLV320AIC23=m
>> CONFIG_SND_SOC_TLV320AIC26=m
>> CONFIG_SND_SOC_TLV320AIC3X=m
>> CONFIG_SND_SOC_UDA1380=m
>> CONFIG_SND_SOC_WM8510=m
>> CONFIG_SND_SOC_WM8580=m
>> CONFIG_SND_SOC_WM8731=m
> [...]

Hi Rory,

You're not missing a library but some other kernel modules which provide
those symbols.

IIRC the snd-dummy modules requires 'snd_pcm' and 'snd'.

After installing the kernel, run 'depmod' and try to load the module
with 'modprobe snd-dummy' instead of 'insmod snd-dummy.ko'.

See the man-page for modprobe and depmod for details.

HTH,
robin