Re: [LAD] a treasure trove of information on "Physical Audio Signal Processing"

From: Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 26 2010 - 17:17:43 EEST

2010/9/23 Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>:
> Following a wikipedia link on karplus-strong synthesis posted
> recently, I found this, which appears to be the online fount of all
> knowledge for physical modelling and sound synthesis:
> https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/
> (with links to examples, code, etc).
>
>> PHYSICAL AUDIO SIGNAL PROCESSING
>> FOR VIRTUAL MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS AND AUDIO EFFECTS
>> JULIUS O. SMITH III
>> Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics (CCRMA)
>> Department of Music, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305 USA
>
> I figure someone will find this interesting. Plus it's cheaper than
> buying the book:

I recently (last friday) got my MSc graduation with a thesis on
physics-based (a.k.a. physical) modeling for sound processing and was
just about to post a link on this mailing list.

http://naspro.atheme.org/public/mt_dangelo.pdf

It contains a (not very deep) theoretical introduction to
physics-based modeling, cites some free/open source projects such as
FAUST, JACK, LV2, Ingen, etc., describes a new FAUST-like
(conceptually but not syntactically) programming language for the task
called Permafrost, whose compiler I released under a BSD license - it
generates LV2 plugins, and in the end a concrete use case is examined
by developing a tube amplifier simulator (the whole source code is
included in an appendix).

The "Linux Audio community", and especially some people infesting this
list ;-), is also listed in the acknowledgements, so I take the
opportunity to thank you all for having helped me learning so many
things about audio processing in these years, either through normal
discussion or flames.

Best regards,

Stefano