Re: [LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.4.7 - The Furious Desertrix is out!

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 01 2010 - 22:29:23 EEST

Rui -- Once again thanks for all your recent updates. I tried out two
"competitors" recent releases and a beta with midi enhancements. Yours
wins by far with the quickest first-launch to sound output, such as
when I was testing it out with zynaddsubfx and fluidsynth dssi plugins
on a new meego netbook install. In the competitors, stunning and
full-featured as they are, I felt a sense of accomplishment after
navigating through umpteen layers of byzantine menus and dialogs just
to get the DAW midi inputs to light up when i played a keyboard. And
then I was all "screw this... back to qtractor...." There was no
obvious way to launch any of the myriad LV2 or DSSI plugins I've
installed and get sound output for a midi track -- not like the old
"click and go" in qtractor.

However, with popularity comes stupid questions, so here goes:

(1) Any hints on customizing qtractor qt/X/etc for use on a smaller
screen (1024x600 10.1" display) : see
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2010-September/073032.html
or excerpt below.

(2) I 've got subversion installs of all your progs, so I usually make
the day of your announcement a good day to try a new svn up & compile.
(btw, r1687 builds and runs beautifully). Recently in compiling one of
your progs (qmidinet) I found out the hard way that I needed to do
"make clean ; autoreconf -i -f ; ./configure ; make" in order to see
the updated "about" page in the resources, even after previously
updating, cleaning and recompiling from subversion.

Is there a better way of doing this, or is there some automatic (make)
way that a subversion revision update could automatically trigger
updating the configuration if needed. Of course, it might all be there
already, as I really haven't been using Qt for very long....

re question #1:
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2010-September/073032.html
//////////
PS: I guess it wouldn't be too early to ask -- preexisting Qt4
"desktop" apps like
http://qtractor.sourceforge.net/ http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net/
http://qsynth.sourceforge.net/ end up taking some time getting used
to, due to the limited screen real estate on a netbook as well as
"popup" application-level
windows send you to a different screen and make it difficult to use in
conjunction with other application windows simultaneously.

Thus three questions related to using existing Qt4 desktop apps on Meego:
(1) A way for meego to popup new non-modal application level
windows, such as "Mixer" and "Connection" in qtractor -- in the same
"screen" as the one that launched it. Alternately is there a way for
these windows in qtractor/qsynth/qjackctl to become panels in the
existing windows?
(2) A way for existing application icons in qtractor to be displayed
smaller, with less border/whitespace, so that they can fit more
densely in a panel. Is there an appropriate way to set different kinds
of application defaults /styles/skins for using such Qt4 applications
on a lower resolution screen -- such as referencing display DPI?
(3) A way for Qt4 application icon panels such as used in qtractor, to
be rendered as dynamic "mouseover" popups, or "window-shade" style
overlays, providing the functionality of the application icons,
without taking up static real estate on a cramped screen?

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com