Re: [LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.4.7 - The Furious Desertrix is out!

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 04 2010 - 03:22:57 EEST

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@rncbc.org> wrote:
> On 10/03/2010 08:43 AM, Niels Mayer wrote:
>> http://nielsmayer.com/meego/qtractor-dialogs-meego.png
>> http://nielsmayer.com/meego/qtractor-meego.png
> please, try another qt theme just for piece of mind, for instance (my
> all-time preferred one)  qtractor -style plastique

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for -- a simple way to switch
to a more reasonable-looking style.
Is there a way to set this style in ~/.config/rncbc.org/Qtractor.conf
, or a global variable I can set to effect this change for certain
programs without affecting "stock meego" apps? I ended up modifying
/usr/local/share/applications/qtractor.desktop to get this style on a
system-wide basis:
Exec=/usr/local/bin/qtractor -style plastique.

Some of the strange effects I was seeing prior -- such as forcing all
application level windows launched from qtractor/qjackctl to a
different meego screen -- stopped happening once I setup smaller
fonts, or perhaps after enabling "Keep child windows always on top" in
options.

Here's the new screenshots, playing something that causes xruns in
ZynAddSubFx due to too much MIDI happening, and a too-complex voice.
Something I recorded on the desktop and played back on the netbook
just to see if it could keep up. Picking a simpler voice still gives
Xruns but it's mostly inaudible:

http://nielsmayer.com/meego/qtractor-plastique-style-meego.png
http://nielsmayer.com/meego/qtractor-dialogs-plastique-style-meego.png

(seems like the easy solution for doing audio on meego is to wait for
Fedora 14, which will support the Meego desktop and Netbooks as a
"default configuration" (
http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/fedora-14-beta-released-today-aimed-tablet-op
) and on which I'd expect the upcoming F14 PlanetCCRMA realtime kernel
will run and allow this underpowered platform to perform synthesis
reliably (?). Note that there's no such problems if I stick to just
MIDI via USB-connected MIDI converters talking to old-fashioned MIDI
synths and samplers; Regarding Audio Xruns in Jack, I haven't checked
to see whether a external USB audio interface has better or worse
performance, compared to onboard "Intel" sound w/ Realtek ALC272
codec...)

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com