Re: [LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.4.7 - The Furious Desertrix is out!

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 04 2010 - 18:56:01 EEST

On 10/04/2010 01:22 AM, Niels Mayer wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> On 10/03/2010 08:43 AM, Niels Mayer wrote:
>>> http://nielsmayer.com/meego/qtractor-dialogs-meego.png
>>> http://nielsmayer.com/meego/qtractor-meego.png
>> please, try another qt theme just for piece of mind, for instance (my
>> all-time preferred one) qtractor -style plastique
>
> Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for -- a simple way to switch
> to a more reasonable-looking style.
> Is there a way to set this style in ~/.config/rncbc.org/Qtractor.conf
> , or a global variable I can set to effect this change for certain
> programs without affecting "stock meego" apps? I ended up modifying
> /usr/local/share/applications/qtractor.desktop to get this style on a
> system-wide basis:
> Exec=/usr/local/bin/qtractor -style plastique.

there's the global setting by use of qtconfig but maybe that's not what
you want, 'coz that will affect _all_ qt4 apps

> Some of the strange effects I was seeing prior -- such as forcing all
> application level windows launched from qtractor/qjackctl to a
> different meego screen -- stopped happening once I setup smaller
> fonts, or perhaps after enabling "Keep child windows always on top" in
> options.
>
> Here's the new screenshots, playing something that causes xruns in
> ZynAddSubFx due to too much MIDI happening, and a too-complex voice.
> Something I recorded on the desktop and played back on the netbook
> just to see if it could keep up. Picking a simpler voice still gives
> Xruns but it's mostly inaudible:
>
> http://nielsmayer.com/meego/qtractor-plastique-style-meego.png
> http://nielsmayer.com/meego/qtractor-dialogs-plastique-style-meego.png
>
> (seems like the easy solution for doing audio on meego is to wait for
> Fedora 14, which will support the Meego desktop and Netbooks as a
> "default configuration" (
> http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/fedora-14-beta-released-today-aimed-tablet-op
> ) and on which I'd expect the upcoming F14 PlanetCCRMA realtime kernel
> will run and allow this underpowered platform to perform synthesis
> reliably (?). Note that there's no such problems if I stick to just
> MIDI via USB-connected MIDI converters talking to old-fashioned MIDI
> synths and samplers; Regarding Audio Xruns in Jack, I haven't checked
> to see whether a external USB audio interface has better or worse
> performance, compared to onboard "Intel" sound w/ Realtek ALC272
> codec...)

afaict, zynaddsubfx's jack implementation is infamously prone to xruns
or so i've been told, so maybe there's no big chance in improving the
situation by changing audio interfaces

cheers

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela