Re: [LAD] tree sort

From: Lieven Moors <lievenmoors@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 17 2010 - 04:35:43 EEST

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 09:04:09PM -0400, Jeremy wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 6:41 AM, lieven moors <lievenmoors@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 11:06:19AM +0200, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> > > What you can do is, take an existing implementation and preallocate a
> > > fixed number of objects in a linked list, like a stack. Then you pop off
> > > the first object whereever there is a malloc() and push it on again
> > > whereever there is a free()
> > >

> > Hi Jens,
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion! That sounds exactly like what
> > I want to do.
> >
> > Though I still wonder if there are any existing implementations
> > out there that use the stack directly...
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Lieven

> > allowed),

> > > --
> > > eins, zwei, drei ... tekno tekno??
> > >
> > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEgbW1FxR78

> Hi, I'm not sure if this will help you, but I wrote a fixed block size
> memory allocator which is really simple for the TI89 calculator. I wrote it
> a while ago, and I think I'm the only one who's actually used it till now,
> so it's not well tested, but it's available on google code:
> http://code.google.com/p/lardalloc/ It should fit your requirements, as it
> just uses the free blocks to implement a stack, and thus is really fast.
> The only problem you might encounter is that because implemented for a
> graphing calculator, it is limited to 2^16 blocks maximum. I wouldn't
> expect it to cause any problems running on a non-calculator platform,
> because it is written in standard C. Again, you'd still have to write a
> tree implementation on top of it.
>
> Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the link. I think that when I would
do this properly, I would have to use a proper
memory pool, which I was just reading about on Boost site.
But since I'm still learning the basics, and I
want to keep it simple, i will preallocate a list,
and use that as a memory pool.
But I will certainly have a look at your code,
and see if I can use it.

Thanks again,

Greetings,

Lieven