Re: [LAD] What do you do for a living?

From: Gordon JC Pearce <gordonjcp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 11 2010 - 00:43:47 EET

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 19:17 -0800, Kris C wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I understand that a lot of you develop for free software and are
> passionate at what you do. But how do you pay the bills? What do you
> do for a living? Are you a student? Do you do software development
> just as a hobby, or do you want to make a living doing this kind of work?

Software development? As a full-time job? Never again!

I used to do web dev stuff, but the ridiculous hours started taking
their toll. I now work as a field service engineer for a radio
communications company, which involves everything from writing custom
firmware for Arduino-based control boards to drilling holes in huge
trucks to mount aerials for radio equipment!

Unlike in software development, when it gets to 5pm I pull the circuit
breakers on the bench, pick up my van keys, and go home. No more of
this 18-hour-day "Oh but it'll be worth it and when the job's done we'll
all get bonuses" crap.

Theoretically, the stress and mental exertion of working on software all
the time was causing a lack of brain bandwidth and stopped me from doing
anything productive with the nekosynth plugins. Now I've no excuse,
except sheer bloody laziness.

> Yeah, I'd like to
> work for Google, but who doesn't right? :)

Not me...

Gordon MM0YEQ